[OS X TeX] hyphens in different encodings

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 9 12:30:11 EDT 2006

Le 9 oct. 06 à 18:18, Alex Hamann a écrit :

> Ups, sorry for not filling in the subject. Second try:
>
> By comparing two different versions of the same paper I wrote (one
> encoded in MacOSRoman and processed by latex, the other one in
> utf-8 with Gentium fonts and processed with xelatex) that only in
> the macosroman version typing --- would result in one long hyphen,
> while in the utf-8 version I would get three separate adjacent
> short hyphens. What is the reason for that and how do I get the
> long hyphen in the second document as well?

Use ":mapping=tex-text" when loading the font, either directly as in

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{gentium}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{gentium}{m}{n}{<-> "Gentium:mapping=tex-tex"}{}

or through the fontspec package as in

\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Gentium}

This will map TeX ligatures, like -- for an en-dash and --- for an em-
dash, to the corresponding Unicode code points.