[OS X TeX] Re: Is there a Latex package for creating html slidy presentations?

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Wed Oct 11 08:21:39 EDT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 5:44 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:
> Some people prefer beamer. It may me more powerful, but the
> learning curve is harder, and to me it seems bloated
> (several different ways to do things, and a huge 400+ pages manual
> that adds to the confusion; the powerdot manual,
> by contrast, is some 30 pages long, including examples...)

In fact, I stayed away from beamer for that reason exactly, until a
couple weeks ago when I decided to take the plunge. I was surprised
to find out that the learning curve is not nearly as steep as I
thought, and I didn't even read the manual. Starting with an example
file I was able to create my own presentation very quickly, in about
an hour during a boring flight.

The reason I decided to switch to beamer is that until know I had
been using keynote. While it looks quite polished, I feel that none
of the existing templates are suitable enough (too sentimenal) for
serious technical presentations, plus the resulting files are
unbelievably enormous (40MB+).

Speaking of enormous, large manuals are not always a sign of steep
learning curves but often an indication that their authors are
dedicated to their subject. Some of my favorite, long but wonderful
manuals are:

-memoir (memman.pdf)
-lilypond (music typesetting but not latex related)

Themis