LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 16:05:05 EDT 2006

Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 12.10.2006, at 21:12, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> So then, again, why not a "LaTeX light"—and I mean a markup one as
>> there is no obvious incompatibility?
>
> Being a WYSIYG guy at heart who only turned to LaTeX because Adobe
> stopped the development of Framemaker, I say: Go for it. Go and
> create "LaTeX light",

As I mentioned earlied, I chose another endeavour and given that I am
turning 70 in a couple of weeks, there is not much of a chance that I
will create it.

> I'm sure no one will oppose it.

 I do not understand what your point is here.

> What I want to say  is this: IMO the two main obstacles in learning
> LaTeX (for a Word user ( are probably the fact that it is markup based
> and highly  structured,

Not in my opinion. Certainly was not my case.

> but both are, at the same they are its big strengths, get  rid of them
> and you lose what makes LaTeX interesting.

I cannot remember suggesting to "get rid of" markup or stucture.

> No one needs a  markup based TextEdit.

And I certainly never suggested "a markup based TextEdit"

I was just thinking that Voisin's suggestions were somewhat in line with
my dream of a "LaTeX light". Could be it is a pipe dream but I don't
think that you have established that and the current state of LaTeX is
certainly not the best one in the best of all possible worlds—as others,
infinitely more competent than myself—have written.

Which goes to show that what I wrote in response to Voisin—I sang that
song when I first started on this list. I can't say I encountered much
sympathy then.—still obtains.

Regards
--schremmer