LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Oct 12 17:55:03 EDT 2006

On 12.10.2006, at 23:31, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Simon Spiegel wrote:
>

>>> I do not understand what your point is here.
>>

>> My point is that things only get done of someone does them. It's
>> perfectly ok to discuss these kind of things,
>
> I am glad.
>
>> but as long as no one  decides to spend time and energy in it, it
>> wont happen.
>

> Given that "It's  perfectly ok to discuss these kind of things," I
> don't know what you are driving at here. What this reminds me of is
> "Hey, you don't like it here, then go elsewhere", i.e. an extreme
> case of the "club mentality".

If you want to read my mail this way, feel glad to do so. All I
wanted to say is actually a triviality which you'll hear everywhere
where OpenSource is developped: What gets done is what the respective
developer considers worth doing, and free floating discussions rarely
change this.

>>> Not in my opinion. Certainly was not my case.
>>

>> Then we disagree here.
>
> What are you disagreeing with? That the reason /I/ had a hard time
> with LaTeX was /not/ because of the fact that LaTeX is "markup
> based and highly  structured"?

No, we disagree in what is for most people the main obstacle which
prevents them from using LaTeX.

>> Could things be better? Of course. We could have some kind of
>> overall  guidance for packages, more coordination between
>> developers, better  coordinated interactions between different
>> parts of LaTeX etc. But as  long as LaTeX is mainly developed by
>> unpaid individuals all over the  globe I don't see how this can
>> possibly happen.
>
> I imagine that upon reading Knuth's "TeX and MetaFont" back in 1979
> and someone's comment that TeX was really hard, you would have said
> the same thing. But then there was Lamport, etc and eventually, for
> instance Koch, Laurens, Wierda, Kew and, I am sure a lot of others
> who made LaTeX more "human" (I think of Knuth as almost
> superhuman). I don't see why that should be the present state
> should be the end of the line and why someone suggesting possible
> lines without doing it her/himself should in any way be even a
> topic of discussion.

I never said that the current state is the end of the line, nor did I
say that you aren't entitled to discuss these things. I just happen
to disagree with you in what makes LaTeX unattractive to many people
and with the way you compare LaTeX (or LaTeX light) with Word.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick