[OS X TeX] LaTeX3 [was: 1/2" margins]

Geoff Vallis gkv at Princeton.EDU
Fri Oct 13 08:20:16 EDT 2006

 From Bruno Voisin:

> Elaborating on this, and getting OT: I still have the dream that, one
> day, once a number of functionalities like that provided by the
> geometry package are recognized as standard, these are incorporated
> within LaTeX itself, namely moved to the base LaTeX packages like
> graphics, tools etc.

I suppose the answer to this is LaTeX3. Does anyone know if there is
real progress on this? The LaTeX3 web page is rarely updated, which
might indicate glacial progress. I suppose that one problem is that
heavy-hitters like David Carlisle (whose name came up yesterday in
another context) are actually being paid to work on other things,
like MathML, whereas LaTeX work is voluntary. It does not make one
too sanguine for the long-term future of TeX based typesetting,
although there are no real alternatives, either.

Geoff Vallis