LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 16:01:45 EDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Musa Furber <musaf_spamtrap at runbox.com> wrote:

> The "Not So Short Introduction", the memoir manual, and online
> resources were good enough for me to get to work in a matter of days.
> Not needing maths certainly reduced the learning curve, but I don't
> see how anyone could need a full month.
>
> There are times when I wish there were more example memoir page and
> chapter styles. Perhaps a repository for document templates would be
> useful...or an analogue to the ConTeX garden.
>
> Regards,
> Musa

I echo the idea of having a "repository for document templates and
macros/scripts" that is well-categorized. I have been using LaTeX for
a few years, and am almost using it every day. Frequently, when I want
to do something beyond my limited knowledge, I search the resources
available. Most of the time, the wonderful book "Math into LaTeX" by
George Gratzer and/or other books solve my trivial problems. For
something not that trivial, I almost always end up copying codes from
some templates I could find from the internet (or from this forum ...
:-)). I rarely bother to understand inside out the codes being copied
and rarely bother to read the manuals for the packages either (most
manuals are not written for novices like me anyway). All these
valuable empirical solutions become macros/templates in my TeXShop. It
would be of great value to people like me to have a repository, or a
garden, like this.

JT