[OS X TeX] MacTeX and LaTeX package documentation

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Oct 13 23:40:13 EDT 2006

> Am 13.10.2006 um 07:00 schrieb Franck Pastor:
>
> > You also may use the "texdoc" command. "texdoc babel", in the
> > Terminal, opens the "TeX Catalogue online"'s section for Babel's
> > documentation.
>
> The user documentation on babel can easily be accessed by 'texdoc
> babel/user'

I now have a pile of paper weighing over 5lbs of `MacTeX-related docs'
that I've printed out recently.

I have come across absolutely no indication that one can get the user
documentation for Babel that way, so I would say that it's impossible
for an unassisted user to find it.  In other words, contrary to your
asssertion, it is in fact very very hard to access this documentation.
Sure, that incantation is easy to type - but it's hard to discover that
one needs to type it.

texdoc babel gives one a Web page with what is apparently no useful
information about the package at all - it's only when one has been told
that the row of pictures displayed might be links to useful information
that the TeX catalogue page becomes useful.

>– which also shows a way to select between half a dozen
> "manuals" for TeX packages.

[snip]

Does it?  Where?  I've read through it and used an on-screen search, and
I'm afraid I can't see anything in the Babel documentation about
whatever these `manuals' for TeX packages might be.

Rowland.
(baffled)