LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Robert Bruner rrb at math.wayne.edu
Sat Oct 14 10:40:52 EDT 2006

Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> For those who write mathematical texts, i.e., for mathematicians and
> physicists, I recommend using the amsart documentclass for articles
> and amsbook for books. The AMS has an excellent TeX page where one
> can find templates for downloading, pdf documentation for AMSLatex
> where every command and (almost) every trick of typesetting
> mathematics is explained.
>
> In case one needs to customize the class files the AMS tex support is
> very helpful and competent, it helped me twice to find a solution
> when I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I have to second these remarks.  A colleague and I wrote a 125 page
document in a homebrew environment we had cobbled together rather
randomly over the years.  When we switched to the AMS memoir format (a
variant of amsbook, I suspect) the formatting improved substantially.
Srating with a good format like this greatly reduces the amount of
hand-tweaking required.

Further, the production staff at AMS made small modifications in the
final production process which improved readability further.  They
are truly an excelent resource.

Bob Bruner

Robert R. Bruner, Professor    (313)-577-3179 (office)         |
Department of Mathematics      (313)-577-2479 (department)     |
Wayne State University         (313)-577-7596 (fax, shared)    |
Detroit, Michigan  48202       rrb at math.wayne.edu              |
USA                            http://www.math.wayne.edu/~rrb  |