[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Oct 22 21:59:00 EDT 2006

Installing missing packages is a bit of a nuisance, but not a major
stumbling block. The list of packages provided by the i-Installer
installation is fairly comprehensive, so that I rarely have to search
for missing packages. In almost all cases when I had to do it, I was
trying to compile a tex file created by someone else.

Of course it would be nice when TeXShop would automatically download
and install missing packages, but would this feature be worth the
trouble and the time Richard Koch or others would have to spend in
order to make it happen? I would recommend to distinguish between
really helpful features, that will increase productivity, and mere
gimmicks.

I doubt that newbies, which are always cited as being the underlying
reason for asking a special feature, are really missing any packages.

Claus