[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Oct 23 11:01:14 EDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 00:45, Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Why not expand TCOBrowser to include mpm or a way to communicate
> with it ? Most of the work has already been done.

Indeed, why not?  I've been waiting for someone to add this.  I'd do
it myself except a) I don't need it and b) I don't have time.  I'd be
happy to help someone who had more motivation.

> What is left is the actual communication bit. I.e. showing whether
> a package has been installed and giving the option to upgrade/
> install it. One tricky bit would be to initialize the system to
> know which packages have been installed by i-installer/mactex in
> what version...

For TCOBrowser, wrapping the mpm command-line tool with NSTask is the
route I would recommend, since the underlying code is C++; this is
likely fairly straightforward.  MikTeX is also licensed under the
GPL, so I don't want to incorporate or link with it (TCOBrowser is
BSD licensed).  One difficulty is that TCOBrowser is based on the TeX
Catalogue Online, and MikTeX may not be a subset of it, so some way
to merge the package listings is required.

Adam