[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Oct 23 11:18:37 EDT 2006

I think that tex/latex will remain the principal software for writing
and publishing scientific papers and books, though I have to admit
that I should restrict my judgement to publishing in mathematics and
physics where I have experience and knowledge. Look at the preprint
arXiv which requires all papers to be submitted as tex or latex
files. I also don't know any publishing house for these areas which
doesn't require latex files from its authors, nor do I know
mathematicians, except rather old ones, who don't use tex or latex or
at least have a secretary using it.

The present organization of latex packages might seem to be chaotic
but I never had a problem with it in the past nor do I expect to have
one in the future. As usual there are bad, good and excellent
packages for a particular purpose, but we all know which one to pick
and be it by asking this list.

Looking up the documentation of a package has been discussed ad
nauseam in recent weeks and before, and for the benefit of the
proverbial newbies, who, as I understand, have to be spoon-fed by all
means, I recommend to incorporate some instructions either in
TeXShop's documentation or on the Mac-TeX page.

Claus