[OS X TeX] i-Installer 2.84 released

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Oct 29 13:28:58 EST 2006

On 29 Oct 2006, at 14:56 , Fernando Pereira wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Fernando Pereira wrote:
>

>> On Oct 29, 2006, at 4:05 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>
>>> Start from scratch I guess. I have no idea what incomplete stuff
>>> is there.
>>>
>>> Let;s hope this crash is an anomaly.
>>
>> I hope so. In the meanwhile, my TeX installation was left in a
>> unusable state.
>
> I removed the i-package for TeX, and tried to install from scratch.
> When i-Installer finished downloading and unpacking the Basic
> setup, it went into a tight loop sucking all of my MacBook's CPU to
> the point that I wasn't able to interact with it and had to reboot.

That does not sound good. Was this the TeX i-Package or the TeX Live
i-Package?

Note: this might also be a TeX setup problem. There are situations
where creating all formats (fmtutil --all) becomes an endless loop,
e.g. wgen formats have to be made that depend on other formats (e.g.
on pdflatex) and the latter one fails (e.g. because of hyphenation
file problems). It is then tried over and over again.

When this happens, it is good to have a look at the Subprocess panel
to see what is going on inn the background.