[OS X TeX] TeXLive i-Package update

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Oct 30 16:11:25 EST 2006

On 30 Oct 2006, at 15:07 , Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 30 oct. 06 à 12:34, Gerben Wierda a écrit :
>
>> The problems some people experienced were the result of something
>> as simple as a missing ls-R database (texhash/mktexlsr did not run).
>>
>> I think the situation now is that i-Installer 2.85 fixes the
>> dependency problems and the TeX Live i-Package itself does the
>> texhash when configuration follows installation.
>>
>> Both together should fix things.
>
> Install just completed. Some quick points:
>
> - The XeTeX, XEplain and XeLaTeX formats can't be compiled
> (assuming they've been checked in Expert mode at the Format
> Selection stage), because of a missing unicode-letters.tex (at /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/xetex/unicode-letters.tex
> in the teTeX setup).

I'll look into this.

> - Files created during the install stage are put inside
> texmf.local. In keeping with the new philosophy of making
> texmf.local the repository of user additions only, and of
> introducing texmf.pkgs for i-Installer-managed additions, I would
> have thought install files (.fmt files etc.) belonged to this
> latter texmf.pkgs.

No. texmf.local is the same as on other systems. It is where the
local sysadmin puts things but it is *also* the location where tetex-
tools like fmtutil and friends write their results (VARTEXMF)

texmf.pkgs is new. It is meant for systems like i-Installer that can
install and uninstall stuff.

> - A number of useful map files have vanished from the list of
> choices offered by i-Installer. I'm thinking specifically of those
> in /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/ (for me,
> lucidabr-o.map, lumath-o.map, mt-yy.map, mt-plus.map). Is this on
> purpose? Is there a way to add these, without using updmap?

No. The map files are there because I copied them over from teTeX,
they are just not mentioned in the updmap.cfg from TeX Live.
Basically, teh route here is not through me but through TeX Live. If
they don't have it, I don't have it (though I break my own rule here)

> As I understand it, i-Installer creates the list it displays based
> on /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, right?

Yes.

> - I'm perplexed by the content of psfonts.map at the end of the
> installation process: no info inside it for Computer Modern or
> LaTeX fonts. This seems to be caused by the absence in the distro of:
>
> cmother-bsr.map
> cmtext-bsr-interpolated.map
> cmtext-bsr.map
> latex-bsr.map
>
> Are Latin Modern fonts supposed to be used in place of these?

I have no idea, I am just the middle man.

> There are teTeX replacements of those .map files:
>
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/bsr-
> interpolated.map
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/bsr.map
>
> However, they would overlap partly with:
>
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-bsr-
> interpolated.map
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-bsr.map
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-cmcsc-bsr-
> interpolated.map
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-cmex-bsr-
> interpolated.map

I just added the tetex maps for convenience. Maybe I should remove them

> Unrelated: installing the netpbm i-Package leaves a few files behind:
>
> theo8mc233:~ bvoisin$ ls -l /usr/local/netpbm*
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin    681 Sep 30 20:06 /usr/local/
> netpbm.iibless.plist
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin    533 Sep 30 22:02 /usr/local/
> netpbm.prepare
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  14976 Sep 30 22:44 /usr/local/
> netpbm.remove
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin   3422 Sep 27 21:12 /usr/local/netpbm.rtf

Ugh. I've blocked the i-Package until I have time to find out what is
wrong. netpbm install is an anomaly anyway.