[OS X TeX] Older Version of Ghostscript in i-Installer

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 1 13:00:34 EDT 2006

Thanks for the various replies.

On 8/30/06, Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> No, I don't think so.
>
> Possible options:
> 1 - compile 8.51 from source
> 2 - convince fink that 8.54 is quite nice
> 3 - ditch fink.
>
> After about 5 years of OS X, I think the time has come to opt for
> possibility 3, most open source projects acknowledge that OS X
> exists, and compile cleanly.

I have been trying to install Gnome via DarwinPorts: I left it
compiling overnight and came back to it this morning to find that 2-3
dozen dependencies had not compiled. Not much  better than Fink.

On 8/30/06, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:
> So you get no system-ghostscript defined?

No, there is an error message saying something to the effect that
"there is already a system-ghostscript node defined." If I try to
install Ghostscipt 8.51 via Fink the compilation halts when it finds
that there is already another Ghostscript installation on the
computer.

> But if you need Fink
> binaries and want to use Ghostscript 8.54 you can arrange this by
> adding the Fink components to the end, so that /usr/local/bin comes
> before ...

This may be the best option, but I'm afraid I don't follow. Could you
say this again? To the end of what am I adding the Fink components?

On 8/31/06, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> You can very well use TeXShop with a Fink installation of tetex. You can
> even install TeXshop with Fink.

So a Fink-installed Texshop will know to use the Fink-installed teTeX?

> I have been using Fink's tetex for a long time, and for me it has a few
> advantages over GWtex. I could give a list of such advantages, but I
> won't do it on this list.

If you would be willing to share off-line I would be interested in
hearing about the advantages you cite. I like the i-Installer version
of teTeX, especially since it includes XeTeX and ConTeXt and the
CM-Super fonts, but I'm open to using the Fink installation if it
gives me what I need.

I am concerned that Fink development for the PPC version of Tiger may
fall by the wayside now that the Intel Macs are taking over. Is this a
legitimate concern?

Thanks,

Fred Hoyt
UT-Austin

--
"It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin barefoot
irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is