OT: publishers accepting .tex files (was Re: Exceedingly OT - Re: [OS X TeX] tex, pdf, and doc)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Sep 5 07:29:25 EDT 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Alex Hamann wrote:

> I guess my question is: has anybody had any problems with
> publishers not accepting tex-processed files? I am a little afraid
> of writing my thesis with Tex and then discovering that the word-
> lovers have taken over even the publishers....

This varies by publisher. It's rare for a publisher to turn down a
manuscript they really want though, and worst case is they have the
entire book re-keyed in Word to produce in Quark XPress, alternately
they may take the .tex files, dump them into Word, have a technical
copy editor whack at them, then typeset from that.

There are publishers who will work directly from the .tex files
(usually handing them off to a composition house or freelancer who
specializes in such), and if one doesn't want to have to proofread
_every_ equation character for character and manually determine the
page # of _every_ cross reference it's well worth finding one.

There's been some writing on this in the Practical TeX Journal of late.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.