OT: publishers accepting .tex files (was Re: Exceedingly OT - Re: [OS X TeX] tex, pdf, and doc)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Sep 5 09:21:54 EDT 2006

On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Just wanted to post my (very fresh) experience here: I'm the first
> at our institute (film studies that is) who wrote his thesis in
> LaTeX. Exchange with my professor wasn't a problem, I just send her
> PDFs which she printed and commented (since she would do this on
> paper anyway, it didn't matter what I used).
>
> I was a bit afraid when it came to publication. All thesis at our
> institute are published in the same series which has sort of a
> corporate design layout. Normally people would send Word files to
> the publisher who would put them in their system (no idea what they
> use). It soon turned out that they couldn't handle tex files. So I
> asked whether they could handle a PDF if I could get the layout
> right. Thanks to komascript and the fact they only use Palantino
> and Frutiger, I was able to re-construct the complete layout. So
> what we'll end up is me doing the complete book and just send them
> a PDF. Although it means more work for me it also means lower
> publication costs, and above diligence, since I'm sure I care much
> more about the layout of my book than anyone else ever will.

That is the flip side (and the one mostly written about in Practical
TeX).

Having authors do the composition work is becoming more prevalent ---
usually there are few issues for b/w work, colour can present a few
wrinkles, but proper communication with your printer can cover this
for most instances.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.