[OS X TeX] pdftex.def patch query

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Sep 7 10:43:39 EDT 2006

Hi. I am cross-posting this to both the MacTeX list as well as the
TeX on Mac OS X list since I think these both of these audiences
might be interested the patch and/or answer to my question. I
apologize if you get two copies.

Heiko Oberdiek has released a patch for pdftex.def that, among other
things, adds a color stack to pdftex (Yay!). See:

<http://sarovar.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=603&group_id=106&atid=495>

Since the lack of a color stack has given me trouble in the past, I
would like to implement this patched version immediately. With that
said, I can use it by simply putting it in (and I have done so and it
works):

~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/pdftex.def

and TeX will load it instead of the one found in:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/pdftex.def

Now, the question is, what is sort of "event" (for lack of a better
term) triggers the inclusion of stuff like this in Gerben's
distribution (and thus, the MacTeX distribution)? In particular, how
will I know when it has been included and thus when I should remove
it from ~/Library/...?

Thank you.

-- Gary