[OS X TeX] MANPATH, MANPATH_MAP and i-Packages

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Fri Sep 8 10:16:11 EDT 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2006, at 15:45, Chris Goedde wrote:
>

>> In my view, these installers are broken. The default configuration
>> of Mac OS X is to map /usr/local/bin -> /usr/local/share/man, and
>> installers should respect this. So the "real" fix is to fix the
>> installers.
>
> It is not so much the installer that is broken, but the fact that
> the installers ships software in its default distribution setup.
> For much of the software, the default is /usr/local/bin + /usr/
> local/man
>
> Changing that would mean i-Package maintainers (like me) have to do
> all kind of non-default stuff while compiling/setting up. Feel free
> to volunteer ;-)

I didn't mean i-Installer is broken but that the original
distributions are broken, at least if they think they are following
the standard directory layout [1]. Of course getting open source
packages to all agree on standard locations for things is like
herding cats, but following the gnu guidelines certainly seems
reasonable.

[1] Which reminds me of the old saying: "That's the great thing about
standards ... there are so many to choose from!"

--
Chris Goedde