[OS X TeX]

Paul Fontana fontanap at seattleu.edu
Fri Sep 8 12:24:48 EDT 2006

Peter,

Thanks so much for all your detailed instructions!

I still have not gotten your script to work (I get 'Permissions
denied'), but after studying it I think I get what it does and have
reproduced some of it manually.  Interestingly, it seems to typeset
correctly when I use pdflatex from the command line, but when I do
exactly the same thing from TeXShop it doesn't work.  For example, from
the command line I type:
pdflatex nfssfont
pkur7t
<some text or other nfssfontcommand>
\bye

and I get a .pdf document that looks good.  (I've tried this with
several of the other pku-family fonts as well, and they all seem OK.)
The transcript is

<-- snip -->
$ pdflatex nfssfont
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/nfssfont.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, b
ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,
esperanto, e
stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,
norsk, polis
h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish,
swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
No auxiliary output files.

* NFSS font test program version <v2.1a>
*
* Follow the instructions

Input external font name, e.g., cmr10
(or <enter> for NFSS classification of font):

\currfontname=pkur7t
Now type a test command (\help for help):)
*Here is some text in Kaufmann.

*\bye
[1{/Users/fontanap/.texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]</sw/
share/te
xmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>{/sw/share/texmf-dist/fonts/
enc/dvips
/psnfss/8r.enc}</Users/fontanap/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/
kaufmann/pkur8a
.pfb></sw/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
Output written on nfssfont.pdf (1 page, 19895 bytes).
Transcript written on nfssfont.log.
<-- snip -->

BUT in TeXShop, I load nfssfont.tex and click 'Typeset', and I get
garbled output with the following transcript:

<-- snip -->
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
  \write18 enabled.
output format initialized to PDF
entering extended mode
(./nfssfont.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, d
utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(./article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(./size10.clo))
No auxiliary output files.

* NFSS font test program version <v2.1a>
*
* Follow the instructions

Input external font name, e.g., cmr10
(or <enter> for NFSS classification of font):

\currfontname=pkur7t
Now type a test command (\help for help):)
*Here is some text in Kaufmann.

*\bye
[1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
pdftex.map}]</usr
/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/
cmr10.pfb>kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600
--dpi 600 pkur8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for pkur8r.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file pkur8
r): Font pkur8r at 600 not found
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
Output written on nfssfont.pdf (1 page, 9643 bytes).
Transcript written on nfssfont.log.
<-- snip -->

One difference that might provide a clue is that the two systems are
using different versions of pdfeTeX and Web2C, as you can see on the
transcript headers above.  Is this a problem, or at least an indication
that TeXShop isn't using the right file tree or something?  I also
notice that they are looking in different places for the file
pdftex.map -- apparently the one at
/Users/fontanap/.texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map is OK,
but the one at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
must not be.

All this seems to suggest the problem is with TeXShop's configuration.
What should I do to fix it?

Thanks,
-- pwf