[OS X TeX] a (q)tree upside-down

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sat Sep 16 09:13:44 EDT 2006

At 12:19 PM +0200 9/16/06, Florian Grammel wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I've successfully (mis)used qtree to include
>some simple genealogy (descendants of Š) into my
>document.
>
>Now I would need another chart, that displays
>the _ancestors_ of a person. I don't have to do
>anything complicated, just one man and the
>connection to one of his great-grandfathers on
>each side. A simple two-branched tree like this
>can be made with any of the many (linguist)
>tree-packages that I've looked at, but I
>couldn't find any, that allows me to put the
>node at the bottom of the tree.

Here's a quick solution using qtree. I don't know
of one that is tailor made.  It uses the rotating
pacakge to turn the tree and defines a command to
rotate the text in the tree separately. Since I
don't know exactly what your genealogical trees
look like I just turned a simple linguistic tree
upside down.  The output is not perfect, since
there are some spacing issues that differ from
the non-rotated tree as you can see when you
LaTeX the example.

The PSTricks web page has a number of examples of
genealogy trees using pstricks (which is much
more powerful than qtree, which was designed
specifically as a good tradeoff between ease of
input and quality of tree for linguistics.)
Here's a link:
http://www.tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=Examples/Genealogy/genealogy

Alan

\documentclass[11pt]{article}

\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage{qtree}

%The following defines a command to rotate the text in a tree
\newcommand{\RT}[1]{\rotatebox{180}{#1}}

\begin{document}

\begin{rotate}{-180}
\Tree [.\RT{NP} [.\RT{NP} \RT{John} ] \RT{and} [.\RT{NP} \RT{Mary} ] ]
\end{rotate}

% The unrotated tree looks slightly different

\Tree [.NP [.NP John ] and [.NP Mary ] ]

\end{document}

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491