[OS X TeX] Re: [OT] Spamming?

ADAM GOLDSTEIN adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 29 10:11:48 EDT 2006

--
Adam Goldstein
Department of Philosophy
The Johns Hopkins University
adam.goldstein at jhu.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: Alain Schremmer <Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, September 29, 2006 10:07 am
Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: [OT] Spamming?

> Alex wrote:
>

> > On Sep 28, 2006, at 09:45, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> >
> >> Beware of tinyurl: it seems a spammer's or phisher's dream come
> true
> >> [...]
> >

> > I guess I should've expected it: take a minute or two to offer a
> > suggestion to someone who complained of Spotlight shortcomings,
> and
> > the reply is a dressing down which implies I'm a spammer or
> phisher...>
> > You're welcome, Bruno. And, FYI, there are widely used email
> clients
> > which do not honour long URLs, even when quoted or enclosed in
> angle
> > brackets. Hence the need for TinyURL. But thanks for the lesson,
> anyway.
> I have neither interest in nor knowledge about url so maybe this is
> why
> it didn't occur to me when I read it that Voisin's "warning"
> implied
> that you were a spammer or phisher … And, on second reading, I
> still
> don't see a "dressing down".
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

I didn't see it the way that Alex seems to suggest either---I saw it rather as a suggestion by Bruno that he had perhaps been himself taken in by spammers or phishers, and to warn others, at least, that if they were going to follow those links, perhaps to try to do so from a machine other than their own at first.

I don't think that spammers are that desperate at this point that they are looking to the Mac TeX list for people's email or other info. Maybe it will get that way one day though . . .

-Adam