[OS X TeX] Problem installing MiKTeX Package Manager on Tiger

Jeffrey Rolland jrolland at wiremail.org
Tue Apr 3 11:47:30 EDT 2007

Hello, all!

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, since it deals
with UNIX install issues, but, if anyone gives me a pointer for a
better place to post, I will take their advice.

I have an iBook G3 900MHz running OS 10.4.9. I have teTeX installed
using the iInstaller and I generally use TeXShop for my front end.

I was trying to install the MiKTeX Package Manager for UNIX (<http://
www.miktex.org/unx/>) following the instructions on <http://
homepage.mac.com/samchops/B733177502/C1647066619/index.html>.

Following the usual UNIX install-from-source instructions, "./
configure" and "make" went fine; however, when I went to do "sudo
make install", I received the following output:

Making install in BuildUtilities/etc
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in Libraries/3rd/gl
make  install-am
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in Libraries/3rd/bzip2
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o
libmiktex-bz2.la -rpath /usr/local/lib/miktex -no-undefined -version-
info 1:0:0 blocksort.lo bzlib.lo compress.lo crctable.lo
decompress.lo huffman.lo randtable.lo
gcc -dynamiclib  -o .libs/libmiktex-bz2.1.0.0.dylib  .libs/
blocksort.o .libs/bzlib.o .libs/compress.o .libs/crctable.o .libs/
decompress.o .libs/huffman.o .libs/randtable.o   -install_name  /usr/
local/lib/miktex/libmiktex-bz2.1.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,
2 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,2.0
/usr/bin/libtool: for architecture: cputype (16777234) cpusubtype (0)
file: -lSystem is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
make[1]: *** [libmiktex-bz2.la] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

It appears there is a problem with the file "-lSystem" not being an
executable under PowerPC, and make abends.

I received a similar error attempting to install Greenstone 3.x for a
friend, but she then wanted to install an earlier version of
Greenstone, so the problem went away.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland
<jrolland at wiremail.org>

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit; crime does NOT pay! The Shadow
knows!"
   - _The Shadow_