[OS X TeX] Is this geometry behavior correct?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Apr 5 17:54:40 EDT 2007

Le 5 avr. 07 à 22:01, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On Apr 5, 2007, at 15:11, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> If I process the following file with pdflatex the final pdf is
>> properly in landscape mode. If I use latex+ghostscript it is only
>> in landscape mode if I provide the [dvips] option to the
>> \usepackage{geometry} call.
>>
>> \documentclass[10pt, landscape]{article}
>> \usepackage{geometry}
>> \begin{document}
>> This is in landscape!?
>> \end{document}
>>
>> I thought the geometry package automatically determined if one was
>> in dvi mode and picked the proper driver.
>
> IIRC, the geometry package doesn't use the ifpdf package to do so,
> and as such may issue the wrong commands (i.e. think that it is in
> pdf mode when it actually is in dvi mode.

Looking for geometry.cfg, one finds it in the XeLaTeX-specific area
of the TeXLive tree:

Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ texdist --texdist=TeXLive-2007
"kpsewhich geometry.cfg"
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg
Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ texdist --texdist=gwTeX "kpsewhich
geometry.cfg"
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg

It seems to check whether XeTeX is running, and if yes sets the
driver to pdfTeX (given XeTeX uses the same commands \pdfpagewidth
and \pdfpageheight as pdfTeX), namely selects the [pdftex] option
automatically. If XeTeX's not running, nothing is set, meaning you
need to specify the option manually, with [pdftex] apparently the
default --- so that yes, the [dvips] option must be specified manually.

This situation is confusing indeed:

- There are packages which perform automatic driver detection within
the package "core" itself, as with the hyperref package which
performs driver detection within hyperref.sty. See the section
starting with:

\AtEndOfPackage{%
   \@ifpackageloaded{tex4ht}{%

- There are packages which perform automatic driver detection but
delegate this detection to a .cfg file, as with the graphics and
color package. See:

/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/config/
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/tex/latex/config/

- There are packages which do not perform driver detection, or which
perform only detection of a specific driver, as with the geometry
package for which geometry.cfg only checks for XeTeX.

Bruno Voisin