[OS X TeX] Tying TeXShop down

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Apr 8 09:10:04 EDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> TeXShop->Preferences->Document->Editor and check Auto Complete.
>
> It certainly does. I thought that auto complete was me typing Auto
> and TeXShop completing with Complete and so I thought I better stay
> away. Should have tried though.

Howdy,

I think you're thinking about Command Completion.

Auto-Completion takes key strokes and converts them into something
else; e.g. typing " gets converted into ``'' with the cursor between
the `` and the '', typing • (Option-8 on US keyboard) gets converted
to \bullet and ^ gets converted to ^{} with the cursor between the
braces.

Command Completion is only activated when you press the Escape key
and it reads what you've already started to write (up to a space or
several other characters) and then looks for a completion or a
abbreviation that matches in a list.

>>> 5) I "installed and configured" cm-super but how do I know "I" am
>>> using it? (I have not changed anything in my preamble.)
>>>
>>> Hopeful regards
>>> --schremmer
>>>

>> Add the lines
>>
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>>
>> to your preamble and the CMSuper fonts will be used. Have you
>> tried using the Latin Modern fonts? I think they are better than
>> the CMSuper versions. Invoke them with
>>
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>>
>> and compile.
>
> I tried both and compared with whatever it is I had before. At
> first sight, though, I can't see the difference. By the way, I
> never installed Latin Modern. Where does it come from?
>
> A childhood friend of mine who was in graphic design would go
> bonkers when, trying this font and that font and concluding "that's
> the one that belongs", I would confess not seeing the difference.
> But then, I could tell a vertical / horizontal within very close
> tolerance and he couldn't: I would have to show him with a level
> that he was off.
>
> Anyway, with all this, thanks very much for tying what I hope are
> the last loose ends except for the mathbbol thing. Could that be a
> bug? I wonder if someone else tried it.
>
> Grateful regards
> --schremmer
>
> P.S. At second sight, though, could it be that Latin Modern is a
> bit sharper or blacker or both?

At first sight there shouldn't be much difference since both CMSuper
and Latin Modern are based on Computer Modern. But both CMSuper and
Latin Modern are much more complete since they contain accented
characters rather than constructing the characters from pieces. Latin
Modern is more to my taste.

Latin Modern has been part of gwTeX from back in the teTeX+ days and
is certainly part of MacTeX since it's part of TeX Live too.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)