[OS X TeX] Emacs <-> TexShop

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Mon Apr 9 11:49:01 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, M A wrote:

> On 4/7/07, Roussanka Loukanova <rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se> wrote:

>> from
>> >
>> > So create a simview command that tells the viewer application to use the
>> > non-default PDF output file!  Or make your simpdftex command open the
>> right
>> > file for display!
>>
>> This is my question paraphrased in two (unclear to me) imperative versions
>> :-)
>>

> Frankly, I don't really understand the problem, perhaps because I
> don't use Texshop either as a dvi or pdf viewer (or in any other
> capacity), so I'm hesitant to reply, but it seems like you keep asking
> this question over and over.  It seems like the solution is to either
> 1) don't use Texshop as a dvi viewer,

Yes, this is a solution, which seems working well. I've tried several
alternatives:

- simpdftex followed by View: Preview (I've created this as an AUCTeX
command: "open -a Preview  %s.pdf" This is a good alternative because
Preview displays last page viewed.

- latex followed by:
  =  the default View: open <file>.dvi, with which TeXshop runs
dvi+distiller and creates <file>.pdf, or
  = TeXShop as pdf viewer, when <file>.pdf exists and I do not want a
newer one. I've created this as an AUCTeX command:
"open -a Preview %s.pdf"
This is not so good alternative because TeXShop doesn't behave properly by
opening last page viewed.

> or 2) don't use "open %o" as the
> dvi view command. For option 1) to work you need to use something else
> as a dvi viewer, either xdvi or Texniscope come to mind, but there is
> also some shareware dvi viewer that at least used to be available (I
> never used it so I can't vouch for its functionality). For option 2)
> create a script called, say, texshop4emacs which takes a dvi file name
> as an argument and executes dvipdfm (dvips followed by ps2pdf or
> whatever if you feel the need to go through postscript) and then "open
> $pdffilename" on the result. Call this script as the View command in
> AucTex. Texshop then is just being used as a pdf viewer.

I've created such scripts and they are similar to the above options
without personal scripts, so I just do not find any big pluses in them.

> Or is there
> some reason why this second option doesn't work?

I think that there is: this is why I am repeating my questions
periodically, but after 2-3 updates of Emacs and TeXShop when I see all
is still with the same problem with Emacs<->TeXShop for dvi's, because
TeXShop (according to its Preferences) is designed to work with external
editors:

TeXShop > Prefrences > Document > Configure for External Editor
TeXShop > Prefrences > Preview > Preview Window Position > Remember last
position on close
TeXShop > Prefrences > Preview > External Editor > Automatic Preview
Update

Note: for pdflatex from Emacs, TeXShop behaves according to its
Preferences.

Thus, there are  working options which are reasonably good, with
Preview, or Texniscope (which I tried in the past), but it is frustrating,
at least to me, that TeXShop doesn't work properly from Emacs. I think
that this should be solved somehow. And it might be that it works, but I
just do not know how to set it up; but in such case, nobody, as of now
has given working instructions for setting it up :-) It almost looks to me
that TeXShop is not preferable for dvi's.

Roussanka