[OS X TeX] pdf2latex? odp2latex?

Jeffrey J Weimer weimerj at email.uah.edu
Wed Apr 11 17:01:27 EDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 2:10 PM, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:

> I have several OpenOffice Impress files (odp) that I would like to
> convert to LaTeX.  I can export from OOo Impress also to pdf,
> PowerPoint, and html.
>
> I do not think that something like odp2latex exists.  Some googling
> showed some info about pdf2latex, but it was elusive.  I tried some
> html2tex perl scripts, but it seems abandoned software.
>
> Any suggestions?   I really would like to convert my OOo Impress files
> to LaTeX and use beamer.

IMO, you will be better advised to jump right into using beamer (and
then re-write your odp presentations) rather than trying to convert
files. I recently (start of this year) went directly into using
beamer for my course lecture notes rather than working in PowerPoint.
As with all WYSIWYG -> markup language transitions, the step was
initially a steep one. In the meantime (4 months later), I have
developed a set of beamer macros that automate much of my lecture
note preparation via layout configuration files (keyword=value
format) and content+transition effect files (semicolon separated
values format) (and I am preparing the User Manual to post it all on
CTAN). I am also a far happier person because a) the quality of my
lecture notes IMHO far surpasses what I would have created with
PowerPoint, b) the time I now spend thinking about content rather
than "fancy slide transition gizmos" is much increased, and c) the
effort I have to put in to producing presentation frames of good
(layout) quality is lower.

Of course, as a TeX/LaTeX user, you already know you will be happier
using beamer :-)

Anyway, I'd be glad to share further thoughts on this off-line if you
are interested.

--
J. J. Weimer, Chemistry / Chemical & Materials Engineering
University of Alabama in Huntsville, MSB 125, 301 Sparkman Dr