[OS X TeX] TL 2007

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Thu Apr 12 14:27:10 EDT 2007

Le 12 avr. 07 à 17:17, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 12 avr. 07 à 12:11, Alain Matthes a écrit :
>
>> I would like to have the same distibution on  OS X and Ubuntu, The
>> only solution is to install TL2007 on the MAC
>> but i would to know if they are some difficulties :
>>
>> With linux i'v texmf in /$HOME and texlive in /usr/local/texlive
>> with now 2007/ and texmf-local/
>>
>> is it possible to have the same thing on the mac? perhaps i lost I-
>> installer and ???
>
> I don't quite understand your questions. If you install
> TeXLive-2007 through MacTeX <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>, and
> possibly update it using <http://www.tug.org/mactex/
> morepackages.html>, then that's exactly what you will get:
>
> - TexLive itself in /usr/local/texlive/2007/, and empty repository /
> usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ for system-wide local additions.
>
> - Possibility to put user-specific local additions in ~/Library/
> texmf. Plus an invisible directory ~/.texlive2007/ managed by
> TeXLive (for auto-generated .pk and .tfm font files, etc.).

Sorry i don't know because I always use I-installer : /usr/local/
gwTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/

With linux i've  /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/.... and i think with
the mac /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/powerpc-darwin

and /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.

If you say that with MacTeX I will get exactly the same paths , well
why not ?

~/Library/texmf or ~/texmf is the same thing it's possible to set a
variable

> All this is defined in /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/
> texmf.cnf, the texmf and texlive directories you mention on Ubuntu
> corresponding I think to the variables TEXMFHOME and
> SELFAUTOPARENT, respectively, where SELFAUTOPARENT is I suppose
> defined by the location of the tex binaries.
if the prefix is /usr/local/texlive then

TEXDIR is set like this :  /usr/local/texlive/2007

TEXMFHOME  :  $HOME/texmf ( but i can change that if i want)

  TEXMFSYSVAR :  /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var.

  TEXMFLOCAL :   /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.

Well finally MacTeX give TeXshop etc... but  I do not use this soft

> The advantage of installing all this on the Mac through MacTeX
> (rather than from the TeXLive DVD directly) are:
>
> - You have the TeXDist structure created by Gerben Wierda, Jérôme
> Laurens and Dick Koch installed as well.

Yes i know the advantage but my ydea is to have the same structure on
the pc and on the mac, with the same texmf.cnf etc...

I want to use the same path for my work on the two computers.

> This allows easy access to the various TeXLive subdirectories
> (from /Library/TeX), and easy switch between several TeX
> distributions through a TeX Distribution system pref panel. This
> switch may seem pointless for now, given that the two main
> distributions around are TeXLive-2007 and gwTeX currently, and who
> but a geek would want to have both?

One distribution only one !

> But in the future, when several TeXlive distributions from
> different years will be available simultaneously, this will allow
> the co-existence of an old TeXLive alongside a brand new TeXLive on
> a user's hard drive, until all compatibility issues are resolved
> and the user can safely delete the old TeXLive.

  there is no problem : a symbolic link  with /usr/local/texlive/
current and you can have two distributions but why ?

> - You have all environment variables for binaries and man pages set
> up automatically, in /etc/profile, /etc/csh.login and /usr/share/
> misc/man.conf.
>
>>  but I think for me it's more simple to have synchronicity
>> between the two distributions
>
> You might probably edit texmf.cnf so that the two Mac and Ubuntu
> setups share the same organization. But if you do so you will lose
> the two above advantages.

it's not big advantages for me.

> Is this what your questions were about?

yes thanks for your answer