[OS X TeX] BBedit and LaTeX

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 10:00:18 EDT 2007

Richard,
Thank you very much. Now that I open the file ahead of time in
TeXShop, the script works just as advertised. Has anyone written a
beginners guide to writing applescripts with lots of working examples
to learn from?  Thanks again.
Tom Rike
On Apr 13, 2007, at 5:43 AM, Richard Seguin wrote:

> I think in this case the applescript code assumes that TeXShop
> already has the document open, although it doesn't matter whether
> or not it is the front-most document. (If it isn't the front
> document, it is brought to the front after it is compiled.)
> Additional code would have to be added in order to tell TeXShop to
> open the document before it attempts to compile it. I don't have
> time at the moment to figure out how to do that.
>
> Richard Séguin
>
> On Apr 12, 2007, at 11:01 PM, Thomas Rike wrote:
>
>> I don't know how to write an Applescript, but I copied and pasted
>> the one provided, compliled it, and saved it to the
>> ApplicationsSupport  BBedit folder and get the following error
>> when trying to run it. After the last command TeXShop opens and I
>> get:
>>
>> TeXShop got an error: NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError:4
>>
>> It can't seem to find the file. Any ideas on how I can help
>> TeXShop find it.
>>
>> Thanks, Tom Rike

>>> David,
>>>
>>> The current 8.6.1 version has a little bug with LaTeX syntax
>>> coloring, but the latest beta version for 8.6.2 has fixed that
>>> problem. I can't say for sure when 8.6.2 will be out because I
>>> don't work for the company, but I imagine it won't be long.
>>>
>>> You can download a demo copy.
>>>
>>> BBEdit has extensive applescript hooks, and TeXShop isn't bad
>>> either in that respect.
>>>
>>> Here's an applescript that tells BBEdit to save its front
>>> document and then tells TeXShop to compile it to PDF:
>>>
>>> tell application "BBEdit"
>>> 	set fileName to (file of text window 1) as text
>>> end tell
>>> set unixname to POSIX path of fileName
>>> set oldDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters
>>> set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "/"
>>> -- pull the path out as a string and strip off the filename
>>> set pathText to unixname
>>> set pathList to (text items of pathText)
>>> set docName to last item of pathList
>>> set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelimiters
>>> tell application "BBEdit"
>>> 	save text document docName
>>> end tell
>>> tell document docName of application "TeXShop"
>>> 	activate
>>> 	latexinteractive
>>> end tell
>>>
>>> Richard Séguin

Thomas Rike
Oakland High School Mathematics Department(Ret.)
1023 MacArthur Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94610
Phone: 510-879-3040 (ext 216)
FAX: 510-879-3049