[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X Emacs] AucTeX, simpdftex, dvipdfmx in ECE plugin

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 18 03:23:26 EDT 2007

Le 18 avr. 07 à 07:05, Enrico Franconi a écrit :

> On 18 Apr 2007, at 06:56, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Where is the Xe(La)TeX support?!
>
> I am using the latest AUCTeX (11.84), and there is no trace of
> XeTeX in it. I guess you did add those entries by yourself? I may
> well add them, no problem.
>
>> '(TeX-command-list (quote
>> 	(("XeTeX" "%`xetex%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode
>> context-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode))
>> 	("XeTeXx" "%`xetex -output-driver=xdvipdfmx%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-
>> TeX nil (plain-tex-mode context-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode))
>> 	("XeLaTeX" "%`xelatex%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode
>> doctex-mode ams-tex-mode))
>> 	("XeLaTeXx" "%`xelatex -output-driver=xdvipdfmx%(mode)%' %t" TeX-
>> run-TeX nil (latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode))
>
> Is it just the above?

If compatibility with the way things works in TeXShop is looked for,
then two remarks:

- The commands launching XeTeX with external XDV-to-PDF converter
xdvipdfmx (as opposed to the built-in converter xdv2pdf) are called
XeTeX-xdvipdfmx and XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx in TeXShop. They correspond to
the engines in /Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/
TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX/ or ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/
XeTeX/.

- The recommended syntax for these commands is

	xetex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E"
	xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E"

For example, quoting an earlier message to the XeTeX list:

> Le 3 nov. 06 à 17:10, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 3 Nov 2006, at 10:56 am, Sebastian Hanigk wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm. I am using xelatex on MacOS X on a G4, so I assume that the
>>> standard driver is xdv2pdf.
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>> Is there any way to check or change?
>>
>> Yes; you can use the -output-driver option to xetex in order to
>> specify the alternative driver. I normally recommend passing the -q
>> (quiet) and -E (try to embed all fonts) options to the driver; thus:
>>
>>     xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" yourfile.tex
>>
>> You can do this from the command line, or create a new TeXShop engine
>> file that includes the appropriate options in the script.

More specifically, the documented -E option to xdvipdfmx corresponds
to the usage info:

-E              Always try to embed fonts, regardless of licensing
flags.

And the undocumented -q option was described by Jonathan Kew, again
in a message to the XeTeX list:

> Le 6 sept. 06 à 13:48, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 6 Sep 2006, at 12:22 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> Finally: I could see no explanation of the -q option to xdvipdfmx,
>>> recommended by Jonathan. "xdvipdfmx -h" doesn't tell anything about
>>> it.
>>
>> Oops, I guess it should!
>>
>> -q is just "quiet mode".... it suppresses most of the default
>> progress messages that xdvipdfmx would print to the terminal, so you
>> get a less cluttered run.
>>
>> (In case of problems, you can change -q to -v or -vv (verbose, or
>> more verbose) to get some extra details such as fonts being loaded,
>> which may help identify where things are going wrong.)

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin