[OS X TeX] utf8 problem and one TeXShop bug

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Apr 18 10:32:58 EDT 2007

Am 17.04.2007 um 04:21 schrieb Chabot Denis:

> My second subject: a couple of months ago I reported a TeXShop bug
> on the development web site. I tried the latest version today
> (still 2.10beta8, but dated 07-02-12) and the bug is not fixed. It
> goes like this: if you set the encoding to utf8 in Preferences,
> then you select File-Open, set encoding to iso latin 1, the file
> opens with the warning that "This file was opened with MacOSRoman
> encoding. The file could not be oepned with Unicode (UTF-8)
> encoding because it was not saved with that encoding. If you wish
> to open in another encoding, close the window and open again."

TeXShop seems to want a header line this, too:

	%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

Since TeXShop does not seem to be reliably working with UTF-8, can
you try again on command line or in some other tool? And can you then
make sure that no other output from your LaTeX file exists,
particularly no AUX file? This could cause also a problem.

I can *provoke* a similiar error when I comment

	\usepackage[full]{textcomp}

	! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:° not set up for use with
LaTeX.

	See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
	Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

	l.30 Estuaire, sta. 408 : 22 m; 48°
	                                    28'45"N, 68°37'41"O & 58 & nd &

When this package is loaded, the log and the output are both fine.

Thinking further, it seems TeXShop makes some error that leads to
some invisible character in your message. This invisible character
can only exist in an encoding in which the "8 bit control characters"
in the range of decimal 128-159 are used to encode useful characters.
This happens in Mac Roman, NeXT, and some MS Windows Code Pages.

BTW, which are your Unicode characters? I can only see some ISO
Latin-1/ISO 8859-1 entities, that the textcomp encoding can easily
handle: ° É à è é î.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print
taketh away.