[OS X TeX] strange error going from one to two columns...

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Mon Apr 23 22:32:59 EDT 2007

On 23 Apr, 2007, at 20:45, Alan Litchfield wrote:

> Insert a \quad before \section{Introduction}

It works, and I don't have the slightest idea why! Could you be so
kind as to explain why it does work?

> Alan
>
> Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I've tried: upgrading the hyperref package as recommended on the
>> Internets and upgrading tetex to the latest in Fink.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> and here is version information:
>>
>> prompt>pdfetex -v
>> pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>> kpathsea version 3.5.4

I would advice you to update to a modern distribution, be it gwTeX or
TeXLive; also, I  think you better use ifpdf.sty, rather then doing
it yourself:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=ifpdf

Best,

Axel