[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 13:12:16 EDT 2007

Le 25 avr. 07 à 15:22, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> That's all! You can just double-click epspdf.app in the Finder, and
> you'll be presented with a nice and no-nonsense GUI. The option to
> remove unnecessary invisible objects corresponds to the checkbox
> "Compute tight boundingbox".

Actually, getting now hold of the original Tecplot file instead of
the test file I had created, the script epspdf appears not to work on
that particular file. It seems the file is so deeply wrong that only
Illustrator can make it right.

To be more specific, I've posted temporarily the 3 files at <http://
homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/FileSharing4.html>:

- bulle-orig.eps: the original Tecplot file

- bulle-epspdf.eps: the result of asking for a tight bounding box in
epspdf

- bulle-ai.eps: the result of ungrouping the elements in Illustrator
then suppressing the unwanted "frame"

On other matters, it appears Cenon can open EPS successfully when you
replace the recent GhostScript 8.56 from i-Installer by the old
GhostScript 6.52 from the Cenon site. However, Cenon seems to have
problems with embedded fonts, and the EPS code it produces seems
faulty anyway (mirrored elements, erroneous bounding box).

Thanks for everybody's help. Personally I'm giving up, as this is all
largely beyond my knowledge. Illustrator allows on the Mac to deal
with this. The local Linux gurus I've spoken with here told you can't
avoid on Linux to use ImageMagick's convert to convert to bitmap and
then crop the conversion.

Bruno Voisin