[OS X TeX] Re: Updating TeX Live?

nicola vitacolo at dimi.uniud.it
Sun Apr 29 08:49:09 EDT 2007

In article
<19af81400704221148w67be44d6t11c8d63b48a70fce at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Victor Ivrii" <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/07, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> > If you are installing with MacTeX, then TeX Live will be updated
> > several times a
> > year. See
> >
> >         www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html
>

> There is a problem inherited from TeXLive: while in teTeX all links
> from catalogue/entries/ were pointing to CTAN, in TeXLive they are
> local and wrong because they are made under assumption that TeXLive
> installation has exactly the same structure as CTAN (which is not
> true). While there are methods to fix many of links, the distribution
> containing correct links would be really nice.
>

> Also, beamer is not the only package (or rather package bundle) being
> updated lately: hyperref, oberdiek, textpos, enumitem got few updates
> from Feb, and many more less widely used packages too. I would suggest
> to compile mpm and install all packages you really care to keep
> up-to-date using it. Finally one can always install manually.

So, if I understand correctly, in order to update MacTeX between two
official releases, there are the following possibilities:

1) wait for the updates at the above link;
2) download, compile and use mpm;
3) manual update.

While 2) may be convenient for packages, it cannot be used to update
e.g. binaries. From other posts, it seems also that mpm can manage only
packages installed by itself. Besides, I have not been able to convince
mpm to use my ~/Library/texmf. So, I think I will stick to 1) (and 3)
when necessary).

One of the features I appreciate a lot about gwTeX is that it can be
easily updated (and Gerben Wierda used to do, and maybe is still doing,
a great job in keeping the distribution up to date). Am I the only one
who misses an "i-Installer facility" for MacTeX?

Nicola