[OS X TeX] Papers or BibDesk?

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Mon Apr 30 12:42:40 EDT 2007

Am 30.04.2007 um 11:00 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Le 29 avr. 07 à 21:18, Oliver Buerschaper a écrit :
>
>> On the other hand BibDesk is rather stable and for my purposes it
>> does a good job keeping all my references together. However, I
>> miss a few things like being able to group papers into
>> subcategories of first level groups. But still BibDesk has been my
>> number one choice for quite some time (and will probably remain so
>> for a little while ;-)

BibDesk is a must.

a) very friendly and clever developers and a list that is comparable
to the OS X list - following how the feature of searching in external
(library and co) databases came into BibDesk was really impressive.

b) While the core task is to help you writing your .bib file for
Bibtex/latex it is so much more. It helps me a lot to keep my
collection of papers in order. Everything is highly configurable. My
decision was to have a folder "downloads" next to my .bib file where.
When I have a new paper I want to add, it is usually only 2 minutes
from the publishers website to a proper entry in my .bib-database (of
course you do not really need to type all the info by hand).  When
that is done, BibDesk has a button I simply need to push to view the
pdf.  Searching your own database can be done easily and also with
very sophisticated search strategies.

c) Adding references in to a tex document is also most easy. Start
typing \cite{Voi and hit a button - Bibdesk will suggest all entries
with a cite key that contains Voi - choose one, done.

d) Keeping notes together with the papers you read can be done
already if you do not store a pdf in your papers-folder but a folder.
For example I have a folder for the paper Barro1990 where the actual
paper is in and also a few notes. Of course the developers thought
about something that is by far smarter, have a look at http://skim-
app.sourceforge.net/.

e) for a task like these Gorodtsov-lists from Bruno voisin: BibDesk
would not directly do all that for you. But it would help you a lot
to collect the necessary information such that you have everything
you need to write those lists relatively quickly (including doi-links
etc., while this is more a BibTeX/hyperref/LateX-Problem). If it is
only for your personal use: Searching for all papers by a specific
author and ordering them by year and having clickable links for doi's
or urls - very easy-

e) and all this is for free.

f) ....

Papers is not free and my impression is that the GUI might be a bit
nicer, but in terms of functionality....

Daniel