[OS X TeX] Memoir and setsidebars

Nathan Paxton napaxton at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 2 10:52:39 EDT 2007

	Sorry all,

	I know this is probably more appropriate in CTT, but each time I try
to post there, it cuts off the majority of the message.

	If you can help with the following (or in helping me figure out how
to post to CTT, I'd be quite grateful.

best,
-Nathan

On Aug 1, 12:14 pm, NateP <napax... at gmail.com> wrote:
 >         Hi all,
 >
 >         I'm using the memoir class to write a booklet for my
department, and
 > I want to change the sidepar environment, so that it sets the
sidepars
 > in a different font family and at footnote size.  The syntax for the
 > command is:

Somehow the rest of the message got cut off.  Here it is:

The syntax for the command is (with default values filled in):
\setsidebars{\marginparsep}{\marginparwidth}{2\onelineskip}{0pt}{}
{\textheight}

\setsidebars{(hsep)}{(width)}{(vsep)}{(topsep)}{(font)}{(height)

Memoir's documentation says: "Any, or all, of
the arguments can be a *, in which case the parameter corresponding
to that argument
is unchanged."

When I do that, however, I get the following in the log file,
repeated five or six times:

./fullbook.tex:62: Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                    \relax
l.62  \setsidebars{}{}{}{}{}{\footnotesize}

A number should have been here; I inserted `0'.
(If you can't figure out why I needed to see a number,
look up `weird error' in the index to The TeXbook.)

./fullbook.tex:62: Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
<to be read again>
                    \relax
l.62  \setsidebars{}{}{}{}{}{\footnotesize}

Dimensions can be in units of em, ex, in, pt, pc,
cm, mm, dd, cc, nd, nc, bp, or sp; but yours is a new one!
I'll assume that you meant to say pt, for printer's points.
To recover gracefully from this error, it's best to
delete the erroneous units; e.g., type `2' to delete
two letters. (See Chapter 27 of The TeXbook.)

./fullbook.tex:62: Class memoir Error: \sidebarhsep is zero or negative.

See the memoir class documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.62  \setsidebars{}{}{}{}{}{\footnotesize}

You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

----------
Nathan A. Paxton
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Government, Harvard University

Resident Tutor
John Winthrop House, Harvard University

napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
When you have to stay eight years away from California, you live in a
perpetual state of homesickness.
         - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud.
         -Coco Chanel