[OS X TeX] Dataflow diagramming

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Aug 2 21:52:38 EDT 2007

Hi Alan, and Roberto,

On 03/08/2007, at 6:00 AM, Alan Litchfield wrote:

> Thanks Roberto,
>
> Some very nice diagrams in your notes :)
>
> I know I can draw the diagrams using the general tools available with
> LaTeX, and indeed tcm provides a Yourdon and De Marco toolset with
> their diagramming tools. I was seeing if there were any wonderful
> tools that were similar to the graphing environments and so on that I
> was not aware of. Just trying to avoid extra work ;0)

Have a look at Xy-pic .

It was designed specifically to cater with diagrams of this type,
as well as many others, including mathematical commutative
diagrams, etc.

Documentation is in the standard place; e.g.,

     ...../texmf/doc/generic/xypic/xyguide.ps
     ...../texmf/doc/generic/xypic/xyrefer.ps

Or maybe you have .pdf  versions of these already.

> At the moment I use Visio but there are issues because I don't often
> use Windows and the program is not always available to me. I print to
> pdf, so the files are adequate if a little too Arial.
>
> About changing the extension. Not sure what you mean. The pdf is a
> binary file so changing the extension to tex and opening in a text
> editor shows binary bumph.
>
> Cheers
> Alan

Cheers,