[OS X TeX] TeXShop editing -- feature request

Robert Bruner rrb at math.wayne.edu
Fri Aug 10 07:33:28 EDT 2007

> I like TeXShop quite a lot, but my colloborators use vi for editing
> TeX files. Even I use vi from time to time, and I am quite used to
> hard line wraps. Would it be consonant with the TeXShop philosophy to
> provide a preference like `Always hard wrap' (`By word' would be the
> reasonable thing to do, I guess!) and a way to set the text width
> right in preferences? I think it would be useful for many users who
> operate with TeXShop as well as vi. Are there other users here who
> think it is so?

The lack of this is one of the most annoying features of Mac
style text editing.  One of the things I frequently use in vi
is a command like

  !Gfmt -72

to set the right margin at 72 chars from here to the end of the text, or

  !}fmt -50

to set the right margin at 50 chars from here to the next end of paragraph.

(Sorry to violate the rule that in experiments one should vary only one
parameter at a time, but I hope these are clear.)

So I concur with Suresh.

Bob Bruner

Witticism:  In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
but in practice there is.