[OS X TeX] Newbie on TeXShop with PlainTeX / XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Aug 13 17:04:52 EDT 2007

On 13 Aug 2007, at 9:23 pm, Kate Hayes wrote:

> I'm used to PlainTeX with Textures, and have recently installed
> TeXShop et al. I finally got a simple test file to compile using:
>
>>  *input epsf.tex
>>
>>  Testing.
>>
>>  *epsfbox{graphic filename}
>>
>>  *bye
>
> (the asterisks stand for backslashes)
>
> However, when I input an output routine and macro file with this
> method, it stops at the first font def in my output routine file
>  and can’t find the font.

It sounds like you're using font names that were known to Textures,
but not to a more "generic" TeX implementation. Mac OS fonts, perhaps?

>  So I found out that if I used XeTeX instead of Plain TeX, the text
> printed, but then the graphic command was ignored.

XeTeX doesn't support EPS graphics, as its output path does not
involve a PostScript stage. If you convert your EPS graphic to PDF
(e.g., by opening it with Preview), you can then include that using
\XeTeXpdffile "graphic filename" in the document. (Or more likely, a
macro that encapsulates this.)

JK