[OS X TeX] Re: Autocompletion of references in included files?

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Aug 16 17:30:19 EDT 2007

Michael S. Hanson <mshanson at ...> writes:

> 	Is it possible to autocomplete references from included files?  For
> example, I have a number of tables that I \include{} in a main
> document, and each of these table.tex documents has a \label{}
> command.  I would like to be able to press [F5] and have list of
> table references pop up,  pulled from the included files -- much as
> occurs for equations references in the main document, or citations in
> my .bib file.  Is this possible?  I am using TeXShop 2.13 and BibDesk
> 1.37 on a MBP.  Thanks in advance.

If you're using the BibDesk input manager, then this is not possible,
because it's loaded into a text view that has no idea of the .tex file's path.
TeXShop needs to absorb the completion functionality itself in order for this
to be possible.  If Leopard kills off input managers (as rumored), this should
probably happen sooner rather than later; I'd love to ditch that input manager
entirely, since it's a headache.

TextMate does what you want rather well via its own built-in \label and \cite
completion, and if that's an option for you, I strongly recommend taking a look.
I wrote a similar command for TM that uses BibDesk for autocomplete, since I
don't like the BibDesk command that's bundled with it.

--
Adam