[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #2186 - 08/20/07

Jon Hanson jkhanson at umich.edu
Mon Aug 20 22:16:51 EDT 2007

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Tables
> From: "Nathan Paxton" <napaxton at fas.harvard.edu>
> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:32:06 -0400
>
> 	Here's what I went with.
>
> 	I downloaded NeoOffice and used the Calc2latex macro, which Linux
> version works rather nicely, actually. It only took slightly longer
> to do than it would have in a spreadsheet (it takes the macro a bit
> of time to work on a fairly complex table).
>
> 	I should have been clearer in the beginning that what i wanted was
> to avoid handcoding every aspect of the table in my text editor, as
> this makes the whole process take forever (for me, at least). My mind
> works nicely in tables but not in low-level code.

Dear Nathan,

Since you mention regression tables, I wonder if a different solution
might suit you better.  If you happen to use Stata to run your stats,
there are some nice packages to generate LaTex code directly from
Stata (entire tables if you wish).  Similar packages are available
for R if you use that, but I can't help you with those.

I'd recommend first trying the package "estout."  From Stata, type
"ssc install estout".  It takes a bit of work to structure the
command properly, but the end result is a terrific savings in time.
It's especially great when you want to change specifications and can
just rerun your do file, with the appropriate changes to your
regression commands.  Then, just recompile the LaTeX document and
watch the table update itself.

The one big problem that I find with the package is that it doesn't
let the user choose the order that the variables appear in the
table.  Have to do that by hand, but that just takes a few cuts and
pastes.

Another nice package is is mktab ( try "ssc instal mktab").  It
doesn't work for some kinds of estimations, but it handles most
single-equation models very nicely.

Regards,

Jon Hanson
Dept. of Political Science