[OS X TeX] metapost, metapost and eps

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Wed Aug 29 22:33:12 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Bruce Kellogg wrote:

>>> Alternately, can I produce .eps versions of my metapost
>>> figures that could be used by my colleagues?
>>>
>> Yes.
>> Joe
>
> How?

mptopdf to generate a PDF. Then I have a script that uses pdftops,
and ps2eps. Ghostscript may be required. I have a script that does
the latter 2.

Of course, mpost will generate a ps graphic directly, but I think
it's in a form that doesn't include necessary items for use outside
of TeX.

/usr/texbin/mptopdf uses a perl script /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-
dist/scripts/context/perl/mptopdf.pl that you
could probably modify to suit your needs. I'm not sure, though.

Alternatively, your colleagues can use pdflatex directly as well.
It's not unique to the Mac.

Converting a pdf to eps is also discussed in a previous thread here
(http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/2004/MacOSX-
TeX_Digest_07-07-04.html)

There is a script listed for doing it. A quick summary is run pdftops
then eps2eps on that result to get a working eps file.

Joe