[OS X TeX] formula with words

Vijay Kaul vijaykaul at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 16:41:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:33:49 -0400, Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Vijay,
>
> On 31/08/2007, at 2:16 AM, Vijay Kaul wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:15:30 -0400, Tim Brophy <timbrophy at mac.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bridget,
>>>
>>> Try
>>>
>>> $$\frac{\text{Skill Variety } + \text{ Task Identity } + \text{ Task
>>> Significance}}{3} = \text{ Autonomy } \times \text{ Feedback}$$
>>>
>>> with the amsmath package loaded.
>>
>> Does the amsmath package fix the "double dollar sign"? If not (and new
>> users should get into the habbit of this), using "\[" and "\]" is
>> better.
>
> Please, what do you mean by "fix" here?
<snip>
> If there is some problem that you know about, I'd like
> to know what it is, and the kind of "fix" that you think
> is needed.

I'm no wizard, so my answer may be less than satisfying, but here's what
I've come to understand. According to Lamport (p.233 of _LaTeX: A document
preparation system_), "Plain TeX's $$ does not work properly; it has been
replaced by the LaTeX commands \[ and \]."

If I recall correctly, I've read that $$ fails in some regard to vertical
spacing. But I'm not entirely sure about that, and I definitely don't know
exactly /how/ $$ fails. Since I'm so uncertain about all of that, I was
wondering if amsmath somehow fixes the problem. I'm guessing, though, that
it doesn't.

--
Vijay Kaul