[OS X TeX] rtf2latex2e problems

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Thu Dec 6 06:18:47 EST 2007

Am 05.12.2007 um 13:51 schrieb Maarten Sneep:

>> 2) all those eqn-files are not used at all. What is their purpose?
>> Only a few of the .pict files are used.
>
> No idea. What is in those eqn files: text, binary?

hm - I deleted them in the meanwhile. They looked like image-files,
but I am not sure.

>> 3) What other tools for rtf-latex really work on a mac? Especially
>> nice would be (basic) conversion of Word equation editor formulars
>> to .tex.
>
> Try http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/rtf2latex/

will do.

> I have no idea if there is anything that will translate Word
> equations to
> latex. Perhaps if you buy the full equation editor.

Opening the .doc in NeoOffice, saving it as .odt, exporting it to
latex with the latest writer2latex, resultet in something that is a
start. A lot of cleaning is necessary, but equations are not lost.
You get, for example,

{
{\textit{ }}
${\mathit{{\theta}}=b\left(\left(1-\mathit{{\sigma}}\right)r+
\normalsubformula{\text{${\sigma}$${\delta}$}}\right)^{{2}}\ \ \ \ }$
{\textit{
}}{(21)}}

It should be

\begin{equation}
\label{eq21}
\theta =b\left(\left(1-\sigma\right)r+\sigma\delta\right)^{2}
\end{equation}

Don't know if it is quicker to clean those equations or to write them
anew.

Daniel