[OS X TeX] kernel panic with Mac OS TeX

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Dec 10 17:42:04 EST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 13:05 , David Kaplan wrote:

> Hi all,
> My apologies if this has been posted and answered in the past.  It
> seems that when I use MacTeX every so often the machine will do a
> shut down - usually when I attempt to save a .tex file or a .bib
> file that I've changed.  It doesn't happen routinely and doesn't
> happen with other apps.  The screen goes gray and a dialog box
> comes up asking me to shut down and restart the machine.

This should not happen, and it's not a common occurrence (or you'd
probably hear squawking all the way to Madison :-}).

A couple of thoughts:
  - does this only happen with TeXShop?  Do you actively use
    the Mac for other things?
  - anything else happening at the same time you see this?
  - any fancy add-in software that fiddles with menus or does
    other neat things that aren't standard on Mac OS X?
  - what hardware?  OS version?  TeXShop version?

Hardware problems suggest themselves (memory, disk).  It could also
be a kernel bug.  What specifically does the dialog box say?

Also, check the directories ~/Library/Logs and /Library/Logs.  These
directories, and specifically, the subdirectory "CrashReporter", if
present, may have new entries related to the crashes.

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
If it weren't for carbon-14, I wouldn't date at all.