[OS X TeX] metapost question

Bruce Kellogg rbmjk at alltel.net
Fri Dec 14 06:19:33 EST 2007

I have a manuscript with a figure generated by a metapost
file which I will call KK3.tex .
The figure also contains some text. I process the file
with the file containing the commands

      \input KK3

Success: I get my desired figure!

I want to process the final document without using metapost,
because my collaborators do not seem to have it. So, following
a suggestion made in this forum a year ago, I notice that the
directory containing all this stuff has a file called KK3.1 ,
and I process the final file using the commands

      %\input KK3

I get a figure, properly placed on the printed page, but there is
no text. What to do?

I now try an experiment. I create a file, called FKK3.tex whose only
purpose is to create a pdf file containing the figure and the
related text. I process it and obtain the desired FKK3.pdf .
Now I process the master file using the commands

      %\input KK3

I get the desired figure, but in the place where I would like it
to appear there is a blank space. the desired figure occurs below
this blank space.

Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.
I do all my processing using pdftex, and in the
TeXShop Preferences Misc pane there is checked mptopdf.
I do not really understand these options, should I check mpost?

Bruce Kellogg

Bruce Kellogg
rbmjk at alltel.net
... just an old buffalo head