[OS X TeX] Delayed updated of pdf file in TS

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sat Dec 22 15:11:34 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> On Dec 18, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>>
>>> Ever since Leopard I have noticed a delay in the update of the pdf
>>> window upon typesetting a file in TexShop:
>>>
>>> 1. Edit a latex file to make some change
>>> 2. Make sure the pdf window is on the page where you expect the
>>> change to appear.
>>> 3. Typeset
>>>
>>> If you activate the pdf window (by clicking on it) *before* the
>>> typesetting is finished, the pdf file will not be updated to
>>> reflect the changes in the source file.  To force the pdf to
>>> update,  either scroll the pdf window, or activate the source file
>>> by clicking on it.
>>

>> Hi Themis.
>>
>> Either I am not understanding the steps or this isn't happening to
>> me, but I am not seeing this behavior (at least on the one file I
>> tested). This is with TeXShop 2.15 (the one Dick released a couple
>> of weeks ago) on Mac OS X 10.5.1.
>

> I downloaded TS 2.15 and I still see the delay. After some
> experimentation it seems that the delay shows only if you set the
> "Show Console" preference to "Always". Switching to "when error
> occurs" makes it go away (you have to quit TS and relaunch between
> changing these preferences). You should try a fairly long document,
> otherwise it's not easy to click on the pdf window before
> typesetting is done.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I just changed the settings as you describe (I had it showing the
Console only when an error occurs) and I am still not seeing the
behavior you describe. The PDF preview updates after typesetting
without me touching it (after I have selected it during typesetting).

Very odd.

All the best,
   Gary