[OS X TeX] Leopard Quick Look & TeX

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 22:29:28 EST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007, at 10:48 PM, Thomas Rike wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, when I logout, restart or shutdown, once again, none
>> of the org.tug.tex files are registered as public.plain-text and
>> only the icon appears. To regain Quick Look capability I have to
>> Rebuild Launch Services database. It only takes a few minutes, but
>> I would like to automate the process somehow at login, but I have
>> no idea how to do this. The real question is what is overriding the
>> TeXShop info.plist when Launch Services are starting up?
>
> `/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/
> Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -
> dump` (in Terminal) will show you what applications have registered
> types.
>
> --
> adam

Thank you, Adam, for pointing out this command. It is becoming even
clearer what my problem is. When I login Quick Look does not work
with .tex files. Checking in Terminal, I see:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -dump
--snip--
bundle	id:            12336
	path:          /Applications/LaTeX/LaTeXApps/ TeXShop.app
--snip--
type	id:            15904
		uti:           org.tug.tex
		flags:         exported  inactive
		icon:
		conforms to:   public.text, public.plain-text

tags
:          .tex
, .latex, .ltx, .texi, .ctx, .cls, .clo, .sty, .bbl, .ind, .toc, 'TEXT'
	type	id:            15940
		uti:           org.tug.tex
		flags:         exported  inactive
		icon:
		delegate:      Spotlight/TeX.mdimporter/
		conforms to:   public.text
		tags:          .tex, .latex, .ltx, .texi, .ctx

After Rebuilding Launch Services database, when I check in the
terminal, I see the same thing EXCEPT that now the flags for type id:
15904  are now exported "active" and Quick Look works fine on all TeX
files that are tagged even in Spotlight.

Is TeX.mdimporter causing the problem? Is there a way to "permanently"
set the TeXShop flag to exported active or a command I could use in
the terminal which would be faster than opening Cocktail and
rebuilding the database everytime I login? Thanks for all your help.

Tom Rike