[OS X TeX] Mathematics by Chat?

david craig dac at panix.com
Mon Dec 24 01:25:27 EST 2007

I am seeking a cross-platform solution for live chats which can include
mathematics in some fashion.

I'll be using a Mac; the other end will be a Windows XP box.  Two ways
to include math occur -- dropping little pdfs from LaTeXiT; or some sort
of tablet-integrated solution where both sides could just write out what
they wanted and then ... well, I don't know.   Some sort of "virtual
blackboard" kind of thing would be ideal.

I hope to integrate with video chat so we can see each other (yes, I've
thought of just using small whiteboards -- which may be what I end up
doing, initially), but a text-based chat may be more reliable/realistic.

The idea is to make online office hours and remote collaboration
genuinely realistic.

Any ideas, suggestions, inspirations, and, most especially, experience,
would be welcome.

David Craig