[OS X TeX] MacTeX (Latex) installation on user space

Anthony Dardis Anthony.B.Dardis at hofstra.edu
Sun Feb 4 20:06:00 EST 2007

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:28:28 -0500, Herbert Schulz
<herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Amit Jayant Shirsat wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> I have specific question related to installing MacTex.
>>
>> Since i am using a .edu domain shared disk space i cannot install the
>> software with admin privileges. Can i install it in my user space?
>>
>> More specifically i want the latex binaries to be invoked command line-
>> just as in any unix/linux installation. I want to send the path of the
>> installed binaries to the Eclipse application which can then invoke the
>> latex commands using the TexClipse plugin.
>>
>> here are my machine details just in case....
>>
>> Any pointers will be very helpful...
>> -Amit
>
> Howdy,
>
> I'm certainly not in your situation but I wonder if you could talk to
> some IT persona and have it installed on the central server so everyone
> can have access to it. :-)
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

I'm in this situation myself: my university has set up Mac laptops so that
admin priviledges are needed to install to anything other than
/users/name/... I'd like to persuade the IT gods that this is not such a
good idea, but first I have to know that their policy is really causing me
problems. Can the whole tex/latex/texshop be installed under
/users/name/   ???

Thanks,

Tony Dardis