[OS X TeX] Re: using xeTex

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:59:30 EST 2007

Hi,

I've read in list's archive (in a conversation which ends here:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2005-October/018342.html)
that the best option to use Chinese characters in a latex document is
to use xeTeX.

I've got some doubts about this:

1) How do I know whether it's installed?

I think I installed MacTex, but I can't remember either and don't know
how to find out what I installed exactly.

2) Should I change my latex syntax (eg. the preamble)?

The reason for the second question is that I've configured TeXShop to
use xeTex as indicated  here
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_texshop)
but I can't compile a document which compiled well with latex. See
error message:

!Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
[a4paper,10pt,oneside]{book}

So it either means that the package(package?) is not installed or that
my syntax is not correct.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Manuel